Houston is an extremely large metropolis city in Southeast Texas near Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. Houston acts as the seat of Harris County, being the biggest city within the county in every sense of the word. There are so many incredibly interesting facts about Houston Texas that are a result of the amazing city it has become.
Strangely enough, Houston acts as the capital for many things, space exploration, air conditioning, the international energy industry, to name just a few; however, it isn’t the capital of Texas, that title belongs to Austin!
Despite not being the capital city of Texas, Houston has the largest population out of any city in the state, with a population of over 2.3 million. Let’s contemplate why this might be, by diving into some of the most fascinating facts about Houston Texas!
If you would like to learn how to register a business in Houston, Texas so you can start your entrepreneurial journey, we have created a checklist walking you through the process.
There are many facts about Houston Texas stemming from various different factors, from its history and culture, landscape, people, and the economy of this world-renowned city. For those seeking business opportunities, whether that be starting up your own business or franchise, or even finding a rewarding job – Houston might just be the place for you!
Houston is a busy, high energy city, with so much to do and explore. You can check out a cool museum after spending your morning eating some of the best food the US has to offer, then finish off your day by exploring the world-famous Houston space center. Alternatively, if you want to soak up some of that famous Houston sunshine, pick a spot to have a picnic and spend some relaxation time in the 11.78-acre public city park, described by many as an urban oasis.
39 Houston Facts
The perception of Houston by many to be an outgoing, unique, and space-orientated city, is considered mostly to be true. Houston and its residents are proud of the city’s history and plan on writing their own over time.
The city is continually increasing in popularity. Houston grew in size by 10.7% between April 2010 – July 2019, and the population is projected to grow by over 1 million within the next 10 years! With the endless possibilities that are presented by this awesome city, there are a plethora of interesting Houston facts we need to take a look at.
Here are some more fun Houston facts
- Houston is the most populous city in Texas and the 4th largest in the United States!
- People from, and that live in Houston are referred to as Houstonians.
- The Metro population of Houston is over 6.9 million – the 5th largest in the US.
- Nearly 1 in 4 Houstonians are foreign-born.
- Houston is the only major city in the US that doesn’t have land-use zoning laws, meaning that anything can be built anywhere!
- People from Houston are referred to as Houstonians.
- Houstonians are known for eating out, in fact, they eat out more times a week than people from any other city!
- There is a reason why so many Houstonians eat out. The culinary scene in Houston is considered to be one of the best in the US, with over 10,000 restaurants to choose from!
- Houston’s timezone is on Central Time.
- Houston is home to the largest medical center in the world, The Texas Medical Center contains 54 medicine-related institutions, and gets an average of 7.2 million visitors per year.
- Houston is an extremely diverse city, and with that comes different cultures and ethnicities, with over 145 different languages spoken in the city.
- There is a pedestrian tunnel system located in Houston that is 20 feet below the ground and runs for seven miles, linking 95 city blocks in total.
- The Houston “Livestock Show and Rodeo” is one of the biggest in the world! With over 2.5 million people attending each year.
- The largest shopping mall in Texas is the Houston Galleria.
- The Astrodome was the first-ever dome stadium to be built in the world.
- There are over 20 different recreational parks in Houston.
- Houston has a tropical climate, with over 204 days of sunshine on average each year.
- Houston is home to hundreds of trendy food trucks, making the grab-and-go food culture a much more pleasurable experience.
- Houston is home to over 150 museums.
- The City of Houston’s land area is approximately 665 square miles – larger than the cities of Dallas, Phoenix, Chicago, San Diego, Los Angeles, and New York.
- Houston’s water area is approximately 31.23 square miles.
- Houston is the largest city in Harris County by size and population.
- Harris County covers 1,778 square miles.
- Houston is well-known for producing successful sports teams, in the last thirty years, many Houston sports teams have won national championships; Houston Astros won the World Series in 2017, Houston Dynamo won the MLS cup in 2006 and 2007, the Rice Owls won the College World Series in 2003, Houston Aeros hockey team won the 2003 Calder Cup and the Turner Cup in 1999, Houston Comets won the WNBA Championship four years in a row, from 1997 to 2000, and the Houston Rockets won the NBA Championship in 1994 and 1995.
- Houston’s nickname is Space City.
- Houston’s motto is The City With No Limits.
There is a lot to consider when looking into the Houston facts. This unique and special city has become a hotspot for successful business owners and entrepreneurs alike, with a city-wide encouragement for those encompassing the ambition and skill to thrive within this amazing city.
Economic Houston Texas Facts
There is so much to talk about when considering the economic Houston Texas facts. The city has been considered by many to provide the perfect environment for the growth and development of businesses and for entrepreneurs alike, with the population of the metropolitan area set to exceed 7 million in the near future. Houston’s popularity does not seem to be slowing down either.
Let’s take a look at the Houston Texas facts from an economic perspective to see why this city is considered by many to have one of the best business climates in the US.
- Metro Houston’s GDP is in excess of $490 billion.
- Houston is home to over 350,000 educated Millenials.
- Houston has witnessed its job market increase by 3.2% over the last year.
- Houston is the home of 23 Fortune 500 companies.
- Houston’s median income is approximately $51,140.
- Houston’s top three industries are; Aerospace & Aviation, Advanced Manufacturing, and Energy.
- The median house price in Houston is $196,400.
- The Houston Texas sales tax rate when combined with state and local tax rates is 8.25%.
- The Houston market posted $127 billion in retail sales (this averages $241,000 per minute!).
- The Houston Texas state income tax rate is 0%.
- Over 92,000 people move to the city or metropolitan area each year.
- Houston is home to the second-largest concentration of Fortune 1000 companies in the country (49) behind New York (72) (Visit Houston).
- Over 31% of the over 25 population holds a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Houston ranked among “The 7th Most Impressive American Cities of 2017” for its diverse population, affordability, and economic strength. (Thrillist 2018).
All of these economic facts about Houston validate the reasons people move to the city for business and work opportunities. Outside of Houston, Texas also has many interesting facts and many economic advantages that you may want to learn more about.
To discover more about economic Houston Texas facts you should check out the Houston Chamber of Commerce section within the Government website.