The Lone Star State of Texas is a magnet for those seeking a better quality of life and all the other benefits a warm climate, amazing social scene, and fantastic food can provide.
If you put the live music events, awesome BBQs, and a laid-back and vibrant lifestyle to one side, you have a State that is also extremely attractive for those looking to register a business in Texas.
How much does it cost to register a business in Texas? Quite a lot! Especially when compared with other states. However, it is not the most expensive out of all 50 states, and when you weigh up Texas’ pro-business benefits, no fixed annual renewal fees, its economic influence, and other strong factors, it might just be worth the price tag, whether that be an LLC, an Incorporated company, a partnership, a non-profit, or any other type of company.
What is the cost to register a business in Texas?
One of the two different types of companies (most common) you may wish to form when starting and registering a business in Texas are:
- Texas Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Texas Incorporated Company (Inc.)
Of course, there are other types of structures such as sole proprietorship, a limited or general partnership, and non-profit, but the most common two are the limited liability company and corporation.
When it comes to registering your company in the U.S., it is important to be aware that the registration and renewal costs differ depending on which state you decide to register in. The type of business structure you decide on will also determine the specific costs.
If you would like to pay for the services of a formation and business filing services company to register your Texas business the right way, they can do it for an affordable fee that ensures it is done properly and all the correct documents are filed according to Texas law. They will also take care of all the after-formation procedures so your business is compliant with Texas law and legally registered.
How much does it cost to register a company in Texas?
- Texas LLC Initial Registration: $300
- Texas Corporation Initial Registration: $300
- Texas Non-Profit Initial Registration: $25
(includes the $5 Texas Registered Agent designation fee)
- Foreign LLC Initial Registration: $750
(this is so an LLC can obtain foreign qualification)
- Foreign Corporation Initial Registration: $750
(this is so an Inc. can obtain foreign qualification)
- Limited Partnership (LP) Initial Registration: $750
- Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Initial Registration: $200 (Per Partner)
The costs to register a business in Texas noted above are the total fees you must pay but do not include several optional fees that are offered by the Texas Secretary of State. For example, when you open a bank account or apply for credit, some financial institutions may need a certified copy of your registration certificate.
The costs include the initial filing fees and the registered agent designation fees that the Secretary of State charges. If you would like additional copies of your registration certificate (certified copy), or a certificate of fact, these can be obtained for $10.00 each.
How much does it cost to renew a company in Texas?
Unlike most states, Texas law does not require an annual report fee to be paid in order to maintain your LLC or Corporation in good standing. However, as a Texas business owner, it is of great importance to at least understand the other fees you must pay to the Secretary of State that are associated with owning a company in Texas.
- Amended and Restated Certificate: $150 (LLC & Inc +others), $50 (Nonprofit & Coorporative Association)
- Amendment: $150
- Change of Registered Agent/Office: $15 (LLC & Inc +others), $5 (Nonprofit & Coorporative Association)
- Certificate of Conversion: $300 (LLC & Inc +others), $50 (Nonprofit & Coorporative Association)
- Certificate of Dissolution: $40 (LLC & Inc +others), $5 (Nonprofit & Coorporative Association)
- Certificate of Merger: $300 (LLC & Inc +others), $50 (Nonprofit & Coorporative Association)
- Certificate of Revocation of Dissolution: $15 (LLC & Inc +others), $5 (Nonprofit & Coorporative Association)
- Name Reservation (120 days): $40
- Resignation of Registered Agent: $0
- Restated Certificate: $300 (LLC & Inc +others), $50 (Nonprofit & Coorporative Association)
- Certificate of Correction: $15
Texas Secretary of State Corporations Section Delivery Address and Contact Information
Texas Secretary of State Business & Commercial Section Mailing Address
Business & Commercial Section
Secretary of State
P.O. Box 13697
Austin, TX 78711
If certain changes are made by the LLC, changing the registered agent, the Texas Secretary of State’s office must be notified on the appropriate form and a fee must be paid. The fee is $15 for these changes.
Here is the fee schedule from the Texas Secretary of State, Corporations Section.