The Pelican State has always had a reputation for being somewhat of a southern business hub within the United States, offering a business climate and quality of life that is hard to come by for many.
So, how much does it cost to register a business in Louisiana? Well, it is pretty inexpensive. It isn’t the very cheapest state to register an LLC or corporation in, but it is extremely affordable when compared to many other states.
Let’s get right into the upfront costs to register a company in Louisiana, whether that be an LLC, an Incorporated company, a partnership, a non-profit, or any other type of company or sole proprietor.
What is the cost to register a business in Louisiana?
One of the two different types of companies (most common) you may wish to form when starting and registering a business in Louisiana are:
- Louisiana Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Louisiana Incorporated Company (Inc.)
Of course, there are other types of structures such as sole proprietorship, a limited or general partnership, and non-profit, but the most common two are the limited liability company and corporation.
When it comes to registering your company in the U.S., it is important to be aware that the registration and renewal costs differ depending on which state you decide to register in. The type of business structure you decide on will also determine the specific costs.
If you would like to pay for the services of a formation and business filing services company to register your Louisiana business the right way, they can do it for an affordable fee that ensures it is done properly and all the correct documents are filed according to the law. They will also take care of all the after-formation procedures so your business is compliant with Louisiana law and legally registered.
How much does it cost to register a company in Louisiana?
- Louisiana LLC Initial Registration: $100
- Louisiana Corporation Initial Registration: $75
- Louisiana Non-Profit Initial Registration: $75
- Foreign LLC Initial Registration: $150
(this is so an out-of-state LLC can obtain a foreign qualification to do business in Louisiana)
- Foreign Corporation Initial Registration: $125
(this is so an out-of-state Inc. can obtain a foreign qualification to do business in Louisiana)
- Limited Partnership (LP) Initial Registration: $100
- Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Initial Registration: $100
- Sole Proprietorship Initial Registration: There is no set registration fee and it varies based on the type of sole proprietor business you are setting up.
How much does it cost to renew a company in Louisiana?
According to Louisiana law, any company, or business entity wishing to continue doing business in the state of Louisiana must file an annual report with the Louisiana Secretary of State.
The annual fees to renew your business in Louisiana are as follows:
- Annual Fee for an LLC in Louisiana: $30
- Annual Fee for a Corporation in Louisiana: $30
- Annual Fee for a Louisiana Non-Profit: $10
- Annual Fee for a Limited Partnership (LP): $30
- Annual Fee for a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP): $30
- Annual Fee for a Limited Liability Limited Partnership (LLLP): $30
The above annual reporting fees for businesses are the minimum you must pay, and there are optional fees and additional state fees a business entity may need to pay should you wish to make changes during the year, rather than when your annual renewal is filed.
Other Louisiana Secretary of State Filing Fees
As a business owner or soon-to-be owner of a Louisiana company, you should be aware of the other various fees that are charged by the Secretary of State.
- Certified Copies with Amendments: $25
- Amended Articles, Mergers, Dissolutions, Certificate of Correction: $75
- Restatement of Certificate of Organization: $50
- Articles of Merger: $75
- Statement of Dissolution: $75
- Statement of Termination: $100
- Statement of Correction: $75
- Application for Reservation of Name: $25
- Resignation of Registered Agent: $25
Louisiana Secretary of State Mailing Address and Contact Information
Secretary of State
8585 Archives Ave
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. CDT
Tel: (225) 925-4704
Fax: (225) 932-5314
If certain changes are made by an LLC, Corporation, or Partnership throughout the year, such as amending the Articles of Organization or changing the registered agent, officers, or managing members, the Louisiana Secretary of State’s office must be notified on the appropriate form and a fee must be paid.