The Sunflower State has built up quite a reputation over the past few years for having a very strong business climate and quality of life not often discovered in other states.
If you can put to one side the fantastic mountain ranges, national parks, incredible landscapes, awesome towns and cities thriving with culture and personality, and, of course, sunflowers, you are left with a state that has been progressively becoming more and more attractive for those looking to register a business in, beginning their entrepreneurial journey.
How much does it cost to register a business in Kansas? It is really quite reasonable! Sure, it is not the most affordable state to register a business, but it is certainly not up there with some of the more expensive states.
Let’s get right into explaining the upfront costs to register a company in Kansas, whether that be an LLC, an Incorporated company, a partnership, a non-profit, or any other type of company or sole proprietor.
- Kansas Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Kansas Incorporated Company (Inc.)
Of course, there are other types of structures such as sole proprietorship, a limited or general partnership, and non-profit, but the most common two are the limited liability company and corporation.
When it comes to registering your company in the U.S., it is important to be aware that the registration and renewal costs differ depending on which state you decide to register in. The type of business structure you decide on will also determine the specific costs.
If you would like to pay for the services of a formation and business filing services company to register your Kansas business the right way, they can do it for an affordable fee that ensures it is done properly and all the correct documents are filed according to the law. They will also take care of all the after-formation procedures so your business is compliant with Kansas law and legally registered.
How much does it cost to register a company in Kansas?
- Kansas LLC Initial Registration: $165
- Kansas Corporation Initial Registration: $90
- Kansas Non-Profit Initial Registration: $90
- Foreign LLC Initial Registration: $165
(this is so an out-of-state LLC can obtain a foreign qualification to do business in Kansas)
- Foreign Corporation Initial Registration: $90
(this is so an out-of-state Inc. can obtain a foreign qualification to do business in Kansas)
- Limited Partnership (LP) Initial Registration: $165
- Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Initial Registration: $165
- Sole Proprietorship Initial Registration: There is no set registration fee and it varies based on the type of sole proprietor business you are setting up.
The costs to register a business in Kansas noted above are the total fees you must pay but do not include several optional fees that are offered by the Kansas Secretary of State.
How much does it cost to renew a company in Kansas?
According to Kansas law, any company, or business entity wishing to continue doing business in the state of Kansas must file an annual report. Annual reports usually include information such as a letter from the President/CEO/Managing Member, financial and tax information, objectives and goals for future years, and performance highlights.
Annual Fees to renew your business in Kansas:
- Annual Fee for an LLC in Kansas: $55
- Annual Fee for a Corporation in Kansas: $55
- Annual Fee for a Kansas Non-Profit: $55
- Annual Fee for a Limited Partnership (LP): $55
- Annual Fee for a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP): $55
- Annual Fee for a Limited Liability Limited Partnership (LLLP): $55
The above annual reporting fees for businesses are the minimum you must pay, and there are optional fees and additional state fees a business entity may need to pay should you wish to make changes during the year, rather than when your annual renewal is filed.
Other Kansas Secretary of State Filing Fees
As a business owner or soon-to-be owner of a Kansas company, you should be aware of the other various fees that are charged by the Secretary of State.
- Certificate of Amendment: $35
- Certificate of Conversion: $75
- Statement of termination: $35
- Agreement of Merger: $150 + $10 per entity over two
- Articles of Revocation or Dissolution: $35
- Application to Reserve a Name: $35
- Resignation of Registered Agent: $20
- Statement of Correction: Varies – go here to see the fees.
Kansas Secretary of State Mailing Address and Contact Information
If certain changes are made by an LLC, Corporation, or Partnership throughout the year, such as amending the Articles of Organization or changing the registered agent, officers, or managing members, the Kansas Secretary of State’s office must be notified on the appropriate form and a fee must be paid.