The Hawkeye State has been building up an impressive reputation for having a solid business climate over the past several years and offers a quality of life that is rare to find anywhere else.
If you can put the awesome national parks, beaches, incredible landscapes, and unique cultures to one side, you have a state that is moving in the right direction, both from an economic and business perspective. Iowa is becoming more and more attractive for those looking to register a business in Iowa due to the states’ consistently growing economy paired with an ambitious business environment.
How much does it cost to register a business in Iowa? It is really quite inexpensive. Sure, it is not the cheapest state to register a business, but it is certainly one of the most affordable ones.
Let’s get right into the upfront costs to register a company in Iowa, whether that be an LLC, an Incorporated company, a partnership, a non-profit, or any other type of company or sole proprietor.
What is the cost to register a business in Iowa?
One of the two different types of companies (most common) you may wish to form when starting and registering a business in Iowa are:
- Iowa Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Iowa Incorporated Company (Inc.)
Of course, there are other types of structures such as sole proprietorship, a limited or general partnership, and non-profit, but the most common two are the limited liability company and corporation.
When it comes to registering your company in the U.S., it is important to be aware that the registration and renewal costs differ depending on which state you decide to register in. The type of business structure you decide on will also determine the specific costs.
If you would like to pay for the services of a formation and business filing services company to register your Iowa business the right way, they can do it for an affordable fee that ensures it is done properly and all the correct documents are filed according to the law. They will also take care of all the after-formation procedures so your business is compliant with Iowa law and legally registered.
How much does it cost to register a company in Iowa?
- Iowa LLC Initial Registration: $50
- Iowa Corporation Initial Registration: $50
- Iowa Non-Profit Initial Registration: $20
- Foreign LLC Initial Registration: $100
(this is so an out-of-state LLC can obtain a foreign qualification to do business in Iowa)
- Foreign Corporation Initial Registration: $100
(this is so an out-of-state Inc. can obtain a foreign qualification to do business in Iowa)
- Limited Partnership (LP) Initial Registration: $100
- Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Initial Registration: $100
- Sole Proprietorship Initial Registration: There is no set registration fee and it varies based on the type of sole proprietor business you are setting up.
How much does it cost to renew a company in Iowa?
According to Iowa law, any company, or business entity wishing to continue doing business in the state of Iowa must file a biennial report. Biennial reports usually include information such as a letter from the CEO, financial and tax information, objectives and goals for future years, and performance highlights.
Annual Fees to renew your business in Iowa:
- Annual Fee for an LLC in Iowa: $60
- Annual Fee for a Corporation in Iowa: $60
- Annual Fee for an Iowa Non-Profit: $20
- Annual Fee for a Limited Partnership (LP): $60
- Annual Fee for a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP): $60
- Annual Fee for a Limited Liability Limited Partnership (LLLP): $60
The above annual reporting fees for businesses are the minimum you must pay, and there are optional fees and additional state fees a business entity may need to pay should you wish to make changes during the year, rather than when your annual renewal is filed.
Other Iowa Secretary of State Filing Fees
As a business owner or soon-to-be owner of an Iowa company, you should be aware of the other various fees that are charged by the Secretary of State.
- Amendment to Certificate of Organization: $50
- Restatement of Certificate of Organization: $50
- Articles of Merger: $50
- Statement of Dissolution: $5
- Statement of Termination: $5
- Statement of Correction: $5
- Application for Reservation of Name: $10
- Resignation of Registered Agent: No Fee
- Statement of Change of Registered Agent: No Fee
Iowa Secretary of State Mailing Address and Contact Information
If certain changes are made by an LLC, Corporation, or Partnership throughout the year, such as amending the Articles of Organization or changing the registered agent, officers, or managing members, the Iowa Secretary of State’s office must be notified on the appropriate form and a fee must be paid.